Winter Parking Regulations determine when and where vehicles can be parked, to help the City clear snow from roads and parking areas. These regulations are in effect from November 1 until April 15 each year.
Help our snow clearing team do an effective job by keeping vehicles parked off roads and boulevards, and using off-street parking spaces wherever possible. If you need to park on the street, follow the instructions on parking signage posted at your location.
If there is no posted parking signage, vehicles must be parked according to the Alternating Parking Schedule. During winter season, vehicles cannot park on the:
- South or East side of roads between 4:00 AM and 4:00 PM on Monday, Wednesday, Friday, or Sunday.
- North or West side of roads between 4:00 AM and 4:00 PMon Tuesday, Thursday or Saturday.
When vehicles follow the rotating parking schedule it allows plows to clear snow from streets back to the boulevards on alternating days.
Parking Regulations are enforced under the Streets and Traffic Bylaw No. 1400. The Winter Parking Policy applies to all areas where parking is not controlled by posted signage in the City of Fernie.
Where you can park on-street during winter? Click on the neighbourhood specific maps below to learn which side of the street you should park on each day of the week.
- 7th St South
- Alpine Parkland
- The Annex
- Castle Mountain
- The Cedars
- Maintown North
- Maintown South
- Mountview / Airport
- Park Ave and Coal Creek
- West Fernie
- Downtown Overnight Parking
- Fernie Overall Parking
Any vehicle parked contrary to the Streets and Traffic Bylaw No. 1400 may be subject to ticketing, towing and impoundment.
To ensure public safety and protection of property, vehicles may be towed for the following reasons:
- Failure to adhere to winter parking regulations and the alternate parking schedule.
- To facilitate snow removal.
- Critical access for emergency vehicles.
- Obstruction of access points such as driveways, private roads, garages, or parking lots.
To retrieve an impounded vehicle:
- Contact Bylaw Services at 250.423.2244 to confirm your vehicle has been towed by the City of Fernie.
- Pay all fines, towing, and impound fees at City Hall during regular business hours, Monday - Friday between 8:00 am and 4:00 pm. Payment must be made in full prior to your vehicle being released.
- Claim your towed vehicle at 1402 Railway Avenue.
For details of fines and fees that may be issued, refer to the Municipal Ticket Information Bylaw.
To make a complaint about parking issues in your neighbourhood, please email Bylaw Services at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 250.423.2244 or submit your report online using the Request for Service tool.
Parking related complaints must include:
- Your contact information. Anonymous complaints are not accepted.
- Address of occurrence
- License plate number
- Make, model and color of vehicle
- The nature of the problem; and
- If you are reporting an abandoned vehicle, please indicate how long the vehicle has been parked in that location.