Windrow Clearing Program
How the Program Works
The Driveway Windrow Snow Clearing Program is a citywide program to help clear windrows left at the end of residential driveways after a snowplow has cleared the road. Older adults (65 years and over) and people with disabilities who are unable to move the driveway snow windrow are eligible to apply.
Participants will receive windrow clearing services from November 1st to April 15th. This windrow clearing service is provided by secondary plow equipment that comes by later in the day or into the next day after a snowfall event where graders and loaders are dispatched for snow clearing operations. Windrow clearing will not be carried out when only plow trucks are dispatched to clear streets of light snowfalls. Participants can expect that windrows will be cleared within 48 hours after a snowfall event requiring a full plow response. Please allow up to 48 hours after it stops snowing for service.
Any residents requiring a greater or quicker level of service than provided by this program can reach out to a friend, neighbour, or snow removal contractor for assistance.
The program is open to residents of Fernie who are:
- 65 years of age or older (in the current year)
- people with disabilities, as verified by a regulated health professional*
Applicants must meet the following conditions:
- the applicant must reside at the property as their principal residence for the duration of the winter season for which the application is made
- there are no able-bodied persons living at the same residence where service is requested, including secondary suites or dwelling units
- the applicant does not live in a multi-unit building, condominium, or commercial property strata
- the driveway must front a City of Fernie road that receives snow removal service from the city
- only one person per address may participate in the program
Applicants are required to submit the following documentation when applying:
- a completed application form
- proof of age (65 years and older) such as a birth certificate, driver's licence, passport
- proof of disability (for residents under 65) as verified by a regulated health professional* (Health Assessment form, accessible parking permit, record of receiving disability assistance under the Employment and Assistance Act for Persons with Disabilities Act (Form #HR0095))
How to Apply
Applications with supporting documents will be accepted in person or by mail from October 15th to December 15th each year. Applications can be picked up at City Hall, or downloaded here: Windrow Clearing Assistance Program Application Form
By Mail: mail your application with copy of supporting documents to: City of Fernie, PO Box 190, Fernie, BC V0B 1M0
In Person: Bring your application and supporting documents to City Hall: City Hall, 501 – 3rd Avenue, Fernie, BC Monday - Friday, 8am - 4pm
All participants must renew their applications yearly. Applicants with permanent disabilities who previously participated in the program are not required to re-submit supporting documents.