Managing Noise

Noise is part of urban life, but too much noise is disruptive and harmful. How much noise is too much? The City of Fernie‚Äôs Noise Bylaw defines how much noise is acceptable, based on:

  • Where you are.
  • Where the noise is coming from.
  • What is making the noise.
  • What time and day the noise is occurring.

Noise from Construction

Construction is a necessary - but often noisy - part of a growing and vibrant community.   Construction can take place at any time, so long as the noise does not affect others.

The Noise Bylaw specifies the hours and days when you can make construction-related noise.

Barking dogs

The Dog Licencing, Regulating and Impounding Bylaw does not allow barking dogs to unduly (excessively) bother someone at any time of day.

If the problem occurs repeatedly, consider talking to your neighbour about the problem if you are comfortable doing so. Your neighbour may simply be unaware that their dog barks when they are away from home. If that does not work, contact Bylaw Services.

To complain about a barking dog, call 250.423.6817. When you call, you will be asked:

  • Your name, address and phone number. Bylaw Services does not respond to anonymous complaints. (Your information is kept confidential.)
  • The address of the dog that is disturbing you
  • A description of the dog that is disturbing you
  • The date and time that the dog disturbed you with its barking

For more information about animal control please visit our Animal Licensing & Control webpage.

Who do I talk to about the noise?

If you experience excess noise, you can get help, but be aware that several agencies deal with noise issues.

Where is the noise coming from? Who do I contact? How?
Barking dogs Bylaw Services Online, email, or call 250.423.6817
Car or house alarms RCMP 250.423.4404
Commercial establishment

Bylaw Services (during office hours)

RCMP (after hours)

Online, email, or 250.423.6817


Strata building you live in Your strata council
or building manager