Short Term Rentals

Short-term rental (STR) refers to the accommodation of guests in a residential home – a room, apartment, secondary suite (without permanent cooking facilities), or house for less than 30 days for commercial purposes.

Short-term rentals offer a diversity in the availability of lodging options, increasing convenience and competition in the provision of accommodation services. Visitors want more choice, more affordable options, and something more personal. Many homeowners would like to use their home part-time as they retire and want to travel. Operating a tourist accommodation allows homeowners the opportunity to “book” their property for themselves. STRs are a way to supplement household income.

Primary residency is a requirement for the short-term rental applications. Secondary homes are not permitted to be rented short-term. Most residential areas in Fernie are zoned R1 and R1B. This means that unless the homeowner is present, no commercial activity will take place. A bed and breakfast is allowed in these residential areas provided that the homeowner is present. Secondary dwelling units are not permitted to be rented short-term if they have permanent cooking facilities present in the unit.

Condo/ Hotel is a permitted use in the C-1, C-HWY and CD-2 zones. For example, short term rentals at Silver Rock and 901 Fernie are permitted because these buildings are zoned for commercial use.

Self-Inspection Checklist has been developed, that must be included with the Short-Term Rental Business License Application. The Self-Inspection Checklist places the responsibility on the Short-Term Rental property owner to certify that they have completed the requisite safety items in their home. This approach will balance public safety, municipal liability, and efficiency of STR business license processing times. Please ensure accuracy and honesty in completing the Self-inspection Checklist, as well as the STR Business License Application package.