Apply for a new Business Licence
- Completed business license application
Copies of any professional certificates and/or provincial registration documents.
Copies of trade certification are required for plumbers.
Copies of reports from the Public Health Inspector are required for all restaurants, cafes, mobile vendors, and any other establishment selling food.
Food Safe certificates are required for anyone handling food.
* Please note that a business license will not be issued until all required documentation is provided.
Business license fees are required to be paid at the time of application. A business license application will not be processed until payment has been provided.
Inspection Requirements for Business Licenses
When your business license application is reviewed and a change of use is identified at the proposed business location (IE. from clothing retail to restaurant), the City will request the applicant complete a Building Permit Application Form to assess the change of use.
To download a Building Permit Application for a change of use (also known as change of occupancy), and understand the requirements of the application submission, visit the Building Permits and Inspections information page.
As part of this permitting process, an inspection by a Building Official and Fire Inspector will be required to ensure that the facility meets the mandatory provincial codes for the new type of business operating at the proposed location.
If you have any questions, or need to arrange for an inspection:
- Contact the Fire Inspector at (250) 423-4226.
- To book an inspection with City Building Officials, submit your request via email with 'Inspection Request' in the subject header to Alex Park (email@example.com) and/or Erik Stout (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Any changes to the business establishment nature or previous use must comply with the City of Fernie Zoning Bylaw No. 1750.
All signs must comply with the City of Fernie Sign Bylaw No. 1888.
Short-Term Rental Business License
Residents wishing to operate a short-term rental on their property are required to have a Short-Term Rental Business License.
To understand which properties qualify to operate a short-term rental, visit the Short-Term Rental information page.
Short Term Rental Business Licenses are issued according to the Business Licensing and Regulation Bylaw No. 2028, 2003. Read through Section 12 and Schedule "C" of the bylaw to review the list of regulations that must be met.
When you are ready to apply you can print the application form above, or pick one up at City Hall. Applications can be submitted in person at City Hall, or by email to: email@example.com
Applications will only be reviewed once payment is received. Fees can be paid at City Hall, by mail, or online at: https://www.fernie.ca/EN/main/online-services/online-payments.html
All applications should include the required supporting documents:
- A completed application form.
- A completed copy of the Self-Inspection Checklist. This form ensures the property owner has the required safety measures in-place to rent their home.
- Contact Information including phone and email for the person that will be available to respond to the City's request within 24 hrs.
- Statement of Title Certificate or Tax Certificate.
- Site plan sketch showing buildings, parking locations, and parking dimensions on the subject property.
- One complete floor plan sketch showing all areas of intended rental use including common use areas in relation to the whole building.
- A copy of your Driver's License or BC Services Card. Proposed STR's not zoned Condo/Hotel must show the same address. Any STR zoned Condo/Hotel may submit photo ID from their country or province.
- Applicant's Acknowledgments and Certifications for STR License fields on the application form must be initialed by applicant and signed by the applicant and a witness. Note that City Staff cannot sign as the witness.
If you have any questions about short-term rental regulations, visit the Short-Term Rental information page or contact Bylaw Services at 250.423.2244 or by email: firstname.lastname@example.org