Mobile and Street Vending (aka Food Trucks)
Mobile vendors (aka Food Trucks) are regulated by Business Licencing and Regulation Bylaw #2028. Please refer to Section 11: Mobile and Street Vending, and Schedule "B" Mobile Vendor Regulations for the comprehensive set of rules and regulations.
Fernie has designated a specific location in the historic downtown on 6th Street between 1st Avenue and 2nd Avenue for mobile vendors to operate (the designated Mobile Site). This location is a centralized, community event space with public facilities. It is more than 50 meters from fixed premises that are open and offering for sale similar food, beverages, goods, wares, merchandise, or articles.
Operating outside of this designated location may require development variances, registered propert-owner written permission, and/or other requirements. Please contact Bylaw Services to obtain more information on required processes for operating outside of the downtown designated Mobile Site.
To obtain a Business License as a Mobile Vendor, you will require:
- Complete Business License application and $100 annual licensing fee
- If a food vendor, an Interior Health Certificate
- A one-time Fire Inspection of the mobile unit with $150 inspection fee - you can schedule your inspection with Fernie Fire Rescue at 250.423.4226
- An indemnity in favour of the City of Fernie
- Proof of third-party liability insurance of not less than five million dollars ($5,000,000.00), with the City of Fernie as additional named insured
- Proof of registration for all mobile vending vehicles.
If you have any questions, need more information, or require clarification or guidance, please reach out to the Business Licensing Officer at Bylaw Services: 250.423.2244 or email@example.com.