Manager of Public Works
Competition Number: 2022-18
Job Title: Manager of Public Works
Department: Engineering and Public Works (Operations)
Employment Type: Full Time- Permanent
Posted Date: May 16, 2022
Closing Date: June 13, 2022
Last Updated Date: June 13, 2022, 2:01
Title: Manager of Public Works
Reports To: Director of Engineering and Public Works
The City of Fernie invites applications from qualified, experienced, persons for the full-time, permanent position of Manager of Public Works.
Reporting to the Director of Engineering and Public Works, the Manager of Public Works is a skilled, supervisory office and field work position responsible for ensuring that functions of the section are operated, maintained, and managed to the maximum effect and efficiency with the least disruption or inconvenience to the public.
The ideal candidate will have a degree, or diploma in a related technological discipline, and experience managing unionized staff. Three years of experience in public administration would be an asset.
The Manager of Public Works exercises a high degree of initiative, judgment and authority in the management and operation of the outside Public Works department. As a member of the management team, the successful candidate will have worked in the municipal sector or related area and is best known for their ability to effectively manage operations, assets, and people, in a cost effective and customer service-oriented manner. Collaboration, teamwork, leadership, and clear communication skills are imperative in this role.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Preparing and implementing work programs for the water, sewer, storm, streets, dike systems, and other operational infrastructure.
• Preparing and managing departmental budgets.
• Taking an active role in leading and managing the department.
• Identifying and facilitating training programs to ensure that employee skills are up to date and adequate for their responsibility areas.
• Developing daily, weekly, monthly, yearly, and multi-year work plans and objectives for the department.
• Scheduling the workforce to ensure that work is completed efficiently and effectively.
• Updating, amending, developing, and writing corporate policies and bylaws related to department.
• Documenting the progress of the department’s work programs, project status and statistics.
• Making recommendations on departmental matters such as equipment, human resource requirements, training and purchasing.
• Being active on the City’s Safety Committee; implementing safe work procedures into the daily activity of the crews.
• Collaborating with Health and Safety, Human Resources, and Assistant Manager of Streets and Fleet when required, in various departmental matters.
• Conducting annual performance evaluations of all subordinate staff.
• Overseeing the work of the department, correcting performance where necessary, administering discipline when required.
• Establishes and maintains effective working relationships with consultants, contractors, general public and other employees.
• Oversees fleet/inventory purchasing for the department.
• Administers snow and ice control program
• Ensures compliance with new or existing corporate, departmental or WorkSafe BC occupational health and safety programs and/or regulations.
• Review and prepare items for stakeholders or Council agendas and workshops. Draft and prepare correspondence, memorandums, and reports on administrative issues and topics
• Participates and attends Emergency Management training, and other development as required.
• Leads and Manages the Public Works department
• Manages staffing decisions in the Public Works department, with the Director’s and HR’s guidance, including but not limited to; assisting with hiring, scheduling, training, supervising, conducting performance evaluations, and coaching for performance or issuing discipline as required.
• Provides guidance to staff to ensure that a consistent level of excellent service is provided to the public.
• Develops daily, weekly, monthly, and annual work plans and objectives for the department. Documents departmental progress, project status and statistical updates and analysis.
• Ensures the safety and security of staff, equipment, facilities, and the public. Is actively involved in implementing safe work procedures into the daily activity of the crews.
• Organizes the departmental unit and establishes procedures to meet departmental objectives set by senior management
These key duties are general descriptions of the principal functions of the job identified and shall not be construed as a detailed description of all the work requirements that may be inherent in the job.
Interested applicants are requested to submit a resume and cover letter before 2:00 PM (MST) June 13, 2022, to:
Dustin Haeusler, Acting Director of Engineering and Public Works
cc: Human Resources
PO BOX 190, 501-3 rd Avenue
Fernie, BC V0B 1M0
We wish to express our appreciation to all applicants for their interest in applying for this position. However, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
No additional documents available for this post.