Competition Number: 2022-24
Job Title: Lifeguard/Instructor I
Department: Aquatics- Parks, Facilities and Recreation
Employment Type: Permanent (15-22 hrs, Unbenefited)
Posted Date: November 4, 2023
Closing Date: December 31, 2023
Last Updated Date: November 3, 2023, 12:22
(Permanent 15-22hr, Unbenefited)
Posted November 4, 2023
The City of Fernie is inviting applications for the position of Lifeguard/Instructor I. This position is included in the Collective Bargaining Unit for CUPE Local 2093 and is classified under the description of Lifeguard / Instructor I.
This position is guaranteed 15-22 hours and is required to work weekdays, weekends, and evenings. Reporting to the Aquatics Supervisor and the Manager of Parks and Recreation, the Lifeguard / Instructor I, promotes education to the public about water safety on or near the water, and ensures proper behaviour standards are maintained by the participants.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Principal responsibilities include ensuring the safety, protection, and enjoyment of those engaged in activities in or out of the water at the Aquatic Centre, assisting in the development of a wide range of aquatic services and programs, performs lifeguarding, instructional and janitorial tasks related to the operation of the Aquatic Centre.
ILLUSTRATIVE EXAMPLES OF WORK:
• Supervises and controls aquatic activity, acting as a lifeguard.
• Makes rescues and provides aid to patrons in accordance with established procedures and completes reports as required.
• Enforces the rules and regulations of the Aquatic Centre and ensures that all safety and behavioral standards are maintained by participants.
• Ensures that safety, hygiene and cleanliness standards and practices aremaintained.
• Instructs a variety of swim and water safety lessons and maintains related participantrecords.
• Responds to customer inquires and deals with patrons tactfully and courteously.
• Leads activities, special events and games during public swim sessions and theme days.
• Conducts water tests as required and adjusts water chemical levels as directed to ensure a safe and comfortable balance for patrons.
• Prepares and submits records and reports as required.
• Performs janitorial tasks and other duties as assigned.
Applicants shall be performance-oriented individuals who are able to work well with others as well as independently with little supervision.
• Current National Lifeguard Service Award
• Current Lifesaving Swim Instructor • Current Standard First Aid Certification or equivalent
• Current CPR Level C Certification
• Must be able to maintain pleasant and effective relations with the public and employees of the City, even in adverse conditions.
• Must have knowledge of the prescribed standards for the Lifesaving Society, insofar as their programs and services deal with the Aquatic Centre.
• Must have a thorough knowledge of water rescue, first aid and resuscitation methods and must be able to perform these necessary skills as required.
We thank all applicants fortheir interest, however only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted. Position will be open until a suitable candidate is found. This posting will remain open until filled.
Please submit detailed applications containing cover letter, resume and references to:
Jacquie Hill, Manager of Parks and Recreation
250 Pine Ave, PO Box 190, Fernie, BC, V0B 1M0
No additional documents available for this post.