Competition Number: 2023-10
Job Title: Engineering Technologist
Department: Engineering and Public Works
Employment Type: Full Time- Permanent
Posted Date: March 10, 2023
Closing Date: March 31, 2023
Last Updated Date: March 31, 2023, 2:01
Posted March 10, 2023
Reporting to the Municipal Engineer, the Engineering Technologist aids in implementing a variety of municipal infrastructure projects and provides technical support for the operations of municipal services. The Engineering Technologist will have duties in several stages of project implementation including planning, surveying, design, drafting, estimating project costs, site inspection and preparing project reports.
The Engineering Technologist is skilled in performing a wide range of technical work with specific experience in site survey, drafting and design in AutoCAD Civil 3D. This role requires a professional approach and exceptional communication skills to respond to project needs and customer requests. The Engineering Technologist will collaborate with multi-disciplinary teams to ensure projects are completed within allotted schedules to high quality standards.
This position is posted internally/externally concurrently.
NOTE: This job description is not ratified and is under review through a joint committee between the City and CUPE Local 2093 to more accurately reflect the current responsibilities of all positions at the City.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Complete site surveys, input survey data into a base plan, and create models in Civil 3D to form the basis of detailed engineering design for infrastructure upgrades.Complete site surveys, input survey data into a base plan, and create models in Civil 3D to form the basis of detailed engineering design for infrastructure upgrades.
- Support the execution of a wide variety of civil engineering projects and municipal infrastructure upgrades.
- Prepare and review plans and drawings, contract documents, and cost estimates.
- Coordinate activities for the completion of projects requiring technical expertise.
- Prepare and maintain technical reports and records, inspection reports, photos, and field books.
- Assemble technical data, analyze, and prepare statistical reporting to support internal and external information reporting requirements.
- Coordinate activities and generate solutions for the completion of projects requiring engineering expertise and advice.
- Provides technical support for the maintenance and operation of all existing assets.
- Responds to inquiries from residents, utility companies, engineers, developers, and other stakeholders related to City infrastructure.
- Liaise with engineering consultants and supervise and direct contractors for the successful construction of municipal capital, maintenance, and operating projects.
- Assist in the development and evaluation of policies, standards, bylaws, and procedures.
- Undertakes training as required. Completes EOC training.
- All employees shall work in accordance with the City of Fernie’s Safety Management System.
- Other duties as required.
- Graduation from a recognized technical institute in Civil Engineering Technology or equivalent.
- Membership or eligibility for membership in the Association of Applied Science Technologists and Technicians of B.C.
- Previous working experience, minimum five years, in municipal infrastructure design and drafting including proficiency in Civil 3D.
- Ability to maintain effective working relationships with a wide range of internal and external contacts.
- Previous success in customer service, client/consultant management and report writing.
- Strong communication, technical and analytical skills.
- Interpersonal skills to foster a positive team environment and support a culture of safety.
- Familiarity with municipal and provincial design standards in British Columbia and other Canadian provinces.
- Valid B.C. Class 5 Driver's License
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Excellent computer skills including in depth knowledge and experience working in an MS Office environment.
- Can demonstrate strong written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills for effectively communicating with stakeholders, citizens, and colleagues.
- Detail oriented with strong technical and analytical skills.
- Knowledge of municipal and BC provincial design standards.
- Demonstrated ability to tactfully handle confidential enquiries and information.
- Effective interpersonal and organizational skills.
- JOB POSTING
Detailed applications containing resume and cover letter should be received by:
For Internal applicants by 2:00 PM March 17, 2023,
For External applicants by 2:00 PM March 31, 2023,
and be addressed to Jenny Weir; firstname.lastname@example.org
Jenny Weir, Manager of Engineering
c/o Human Resources
City of Fernie, PO Box 190
Fernie, BC, V0B 1M0 or
The City of Fernie strives to ensure that its employment practices are free from direct and indirect discrimination and is committed to upholding the human rights of those participating in the hiring process. In pursuit of this commitment, City of Fernie will not condone or tolerate any acts of discrimination or harassment under any of the grounds protected under human rights legislation. This commitment extends to the hiring process and throughout the course of employment.
No additional documents available for this post.