National Western Region Mine Rescue Competition
The National Western Regional Mine Rescue Competition (NWRMRC) - Thirteenth Biennial will be held in Fernie, British Columbia on September 8 and 9, 2017.
Provincial and Territorial Surface and Underground Mine Rescue winners from Western Canada Alberta, British Columbia, Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Yukon and Northwest Territories/Nunavut as well, as the winning surface and underground teams from the Northwestern United States make up the competition. Each team participates in five tasks including first aid, fire and smoke simulation, rope task and a written exam.
Surprisingly; a good portion of the general public are not aware of what mine rescue is and the impact that it has on our communities and families.
Mine rescue team members are your neighbours or the face in the crowd who you recognize as a member of the community; they are sometimes the first person to come upon an accident. You may not know at the time, but you are in good hands.
The intense training and numerous hours these individuals put in to hone their skills prior to competing and the teamwork and support from their families all contribute to the competitor’s success during the competition. Camaraderie, sportsmanship and the sense of pride to be a member of a mine rescue team all contribute to a high energy competition where teams compete against their peers; where the stakes are high and competition is fierce.
Teams with questions regarding the competition can contact:
- Mike Henney- NWRMRC Chair, Chief Mine Safety Officer, Yukon Workers Compensation Heath and Safety Board.
867-667-8739 or Michael.Henney@gov.yk.ca
- Alan Day- NWRMRC Coordinator, Senior Mines Inspector, Health & Safety, Ministry of Energy and Mines, South East Region.
250-417-6013-1701 or Alan.email@example.com
- Doran Jones, CRSP- Chief Underground Judge, Emergency Preparedness Coordinator, BC Ministry of Energy and Mines.
250-387-0559 or Doran.Jones@gov.bc.ca
- Jerrold C. Jewsbury- Chief Surface Judge, Inspector of Mines, Health and Safery, Ministry of Energy and Mines, Southeast Region.
250-417-6007 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Elke Weber, Coordinator, Fernie Rescue Competition Organizing Committee.
We look forward to seeing you in Fernie. Travel safe!
Check out the following links for things to do during your downtime:
- Fernie Chamber of Commerce: http://ferniechamber.com/
- Fernie Fix: http://www.ferniefix.com/
- Tourism Fernie: http://www.tourismfernie.com/
- Free Press: http://www.thefreepress.ca/