National Western Region Mine Rescue Competition – Twelfth Biennial
The National Western Regional Mine Rescue Competition (NWRMRC) - Twelfth Biennial will be held in Fernie, British Columbia on September 11 & 12, 2015. (Competition details to come)
Provincial and Territorial Surface and Underground Mine Rescue winners from Western Canada Alberta, British Columbia, Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Yukon and Northwest Territories/Nunavut as well, as the winning surface and underground teams from the Northwestern United States make up the competition. Each team participates in five tasks including first aid, fire and smoke simulation, rope task and a written exam.
Surprisingly; a good portion of the general public are not aware of what mine rescue is and the impact that it has on our communities and families.
Mine rescue team members are your neighbours or the face in the crowd who you recognize as a member of the community; they are sometimes the first person to come upon an accident. You may not know at the time, but you are in good hands.
The intense training and numerous hours these individuals put in to hone their skills prior to competing and the teamwork and support from their families all contribute to the competitor’s success during the competition. Camaraderie, sportsmanship and the sense of pride to be a member of a mine rescue team all contribute to a high energy competition where teams compete against their peers; where the stakes are high and competition is fierce.
Teams with questions regarding the competition can contact:
- Jerrold Jewsbury, Inspector of Mines, Health and Safety, Ministry of Energy and Mines,
250-420-2189 or Jerrold.firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ron Ratz, Mine Rescue Coordinator/Mine Safety
780-838-2983 or email@example.com
- Fred Baily, Chief Inspector of Mines, Yellowknife, NWT
867-669-4460 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Alan Day, Senior Mines Inspector, Health & Safety, Ministry of Mines, South East Region
250 426-1701 or Alan.email@example.com
- Elke Weber, Coordinator, Fernie Rescue Competition Organizing Committee
We look forward to seeing you in Fernie. Travel safe!
Check out the following links for things to do on your downtime, shopping, dining etc:
- Fernie Chamber of Commerce: http://ferniechamber.com/
- Fernie Fix: http://www.ferniefix.com/
- Tourism Fernie: http://www.tourismfernie.com/
- Free Press: http://www.thefreepress.ca/