2022 General Local Election
On Saturday, October 15, 2022, Fernie residents will vote to elect 1 mayor and 6 councillors. The elected mayor and councillors will serve a four-year term from November 2022 to November 2026.
Who is running for Council/ Mayor?
Click here to view the most up to date list of nominees.
Voting will be open to qualified electors at the Fernie Senior Citizens Drop-In Centre (562 - 3rd Avenue).
General Voting Day:
- Saturday, October 15 - 8:00 am - 8:00 pm
Advance Voting Days:
- Wednesday, October 5 - 8:00 am - 8:00 pm
- Wednesday, October 12 - 8:00 am - 8:00 pm
Special Voting Opportunity:
Special voting opportunities will be available to qualified electors who are admitted patients or facility residents of Trinity Lodge, Tom Uphill Manor, Rocky Mountain Village and the Elk Valley Hospital.
Trinity Lodge (1101 5th Avenue) - Thursday, October 13 from 9:30 am - 10:30 am
Tom Uphill Manor (1301 4th Avenue) - Friday, October 14, from 11:30 am - 12:30 pm
Rocky Mountain Village (55 Cokato Road) - Friday, October 14 from 2:00 pm - 4:00 pm
Elk Valley Hospital (1501 5th Avenue) - Friday, October 14 from 5:00 to 5:30 pm
Am I eligible to vote?
Pre-registration is not needed to vote in the 2022 Local General Election. To be qualified to vote, you will be required to make a declaration that you meet the following requirements:
- 18 years of age or older on general voting day
- Canadian citizen
- resident of BC for at least 6 months immediately preceding the day of registration
- resident of OR registered owner of real property in the City of Fernie for at least 30 days immediately preceding the day of registration, and
- not disqualified under the Local Government Act or any other enactment from voting in an election or otherwise disqualified by law.
Resident electors must produce 2 pieces of identification (at least one with a signature). Picture identification is not necessary. The identification must prove both residency and identity.
Non-resident property electors must produce 2 pieces of identification (at least one with a signature) to prove identity, proof that they are entitled to register in relation to the property, and, if there is more than one owner of the property, written consent from the majority of the property owners.
How will I vote?
The City of Fernie will be using automated vote counting machines for the 2022 election. Using vote counting machines will significantly reduce the wait time to learn election results!
Here is how you will vote:
Mail Ballot Voting
Qualified electors may vote by mail if they:
- have a physical disability, illness or injury that affects their ability to vote at another voting opportunity, OR
- expect to be absent from the City of Fernie on general voting day and at the times of all advance voting opportunities.
To request a mail ballot, qualified electors must submit the following information to the Chief Election Officer’s office before 4:00 pm on Thursday, October 13, 2022 by:
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mail: Fernie City Hall, Box 190, Fernie, BC V0B 1M0
- Telephone: 250-423-2234
- Fax: 250-423-3034
- Full name,
- Residential address,
- Address of the property in relation to which you are voting (for non-resident property electors),
- Method of delivery of your mail ballot package:
- pick up at City Hall in Fernie, OR
- regular lettermail through Canada Post to residential address, OR
- regular lettermail through Canada Post to an alternate address that you provide when requesting the ballot package
To ensure you receive the correct registration application form in your package, you must indicate whether you are going to be registering as a resident or non-resident property elector.
Mail ballot packages will be sent out commencing on or about September 30, 2022.To be counted, the Chief Election Officer must receive your mail ballot no later than 8 pm on Saturday, October 15, 2022.
Chief Election Officer: