Competition Number: 2022-23
Job Title: Project Engineer
Department: Engineering and Public Works
Employment Type: Full Time- Permanent
Salary: $75,000-$95,000 pay band
Posted Date: June 15, 2022
Closing Date: July 06, 2022
Last Updated Date: July 6, 2022, 2:01
Title: Project Engineer
Reports To: Manager of Engineering
Posted: June 15, 2022
The City of Fernie invites applications from qualified, experienced, persons for the full-time, permanent position of Project Engineer.
This Project Engineer, under the direction of the Manager of Engineering, will be primarily responsible for leading the execution of engineering projects and activities. This is an exempt position with a wide range of responsibilities and has exposure to all stages of a project, from conception through construction. The Project Engineer will be responsible for managing capital infrastructure projects such as roads, storm water and drainage management, water supply and distribution, sewage collection and treatment.
The Project Engineer must have a designation of P.Eng. and must be registered or eligible to apply to practice engineering in British Columbia with a minimum of five years of progressive experience in municipal engineering.
The Project Engineer duties include determining engineering solutions to address infrastructure-related issues, estimating project costs, reviewing designs, preparing, and reviewing drawings and specifications, performing assessments and inspections, and preparing reports and contract documentation. The Project Engineer supports the department in completing the review of development and land-use applications to ensure they align with the City’s objectives and bylaws.
The Project Engineer will be responsible for assisting the Manager of Engineering in executing projects identified in the annual capital program to ensure projects are delivered satisfactorily. They perform management and inspection of the capital projects and provide technical advice for the maintenance and operation of existing infrastructure. Using considerable organizational, communication and interpersonal skills, the Project Engineer collaborates with multi-disciplinary teams to ensure projects are completed within allotted schedules and budgets, and to high quality standards.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Coordinate and oversee the execution and implementation of a wide variety of civil projects including municipal infrastructure upgrades: including management of budgets and timelines
- Perform field inspections on a variety of development and work sites and perform contractor performance management to ensure that contractors are following established safety, legislative, and environmental procedures are in accordance with the City’s design specifications
- Participate in the development and evaluation of policies, standards, bylaws, and procedures
- Review and establish compliance of residential, commercial, and industrial development plans and drawings, contract documents, cost estimates, and land use proposals with the appropriate bylaws, best management practices and operational practices.
- Prepare and maintain technical reports and records, inspection reports, photos, and field books
- Communicate with consultants, agencies, stakeholders, and the public
- Works with engineering team to assist and prepare preliminary designs and perform design review of civil works for water supply systems, sanitary sewers, stormwater systems and transportation infrastructure
- Supports Manager of Engineering in project development, evaluation and grant applications
- Coordinates activities and generates solutions for the completion of projects requiring engineering expertise and advice
- Complete Emergency Management training, other training, and duties as required.
- Review, management and preparation of contracts, cost estimates, tender documents, and technical specifications
- Involved in the permitting process of projects, requiring working with consultants, contractors, and reviewing agency personnel
These key duties are general descriptions of the principal functions of the job identified and shall not be construed as a detailed description of all the work requirements that may be inherent in the job
Interested applicants are requested to submit a resume and cover letter before
2:00 PM (MST) July 6, 2022, to:
Jenny Weir, Manager of Engineering
cc: Human Resources
PO BOX 190, 501-3rd Avenue
Fernie, BC V0B 1M0
We wish to express our appreciation to all applicants for their interest in applying for this position. However, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
No additional documents available for this post.