Financial Assistance Available For Residents Affected By Flooding

Did you know, Emergency Management BC (EMBC) has authorized Disaster Financial Assistance (DFA) for residents in our region who experienced flood damage due to the Nov 14-16 storm event?
What does that mean? You can apply for assistance to cover loss or damage to essential items if you're a homeowner, residential tenant, small business owner, farmer, charitable organization, or local government body, who does not have overland flood insurance, or is unable to obtain insurance.
Applicants should first check with their insurance agent to determine if their insurance policy provides coverage for the resulting damage. DFA is available only for essential, uninsurable losses.
Key points to understand about DFA:
  • Financial assistance is provided for each accepted claim at 80 percent of the amount of total eligible damage that exceeds $1,000, to a maximum claim of $300,000.
  • Claims may be made in more than one category (e.g., homeowner and farm owner).
  • A homeowner or residential tenant must show that the home is their principal residence. Seasonal or recreational properties, hot tubs, patios, pools, garden tools, landscaping, luxury items, and recreational items (like bicycles) are not eligible for assistance.
  • Small business owners and farm owners must demonstrate it is their primary source of income. Owners of damaged rental property must apply and qualify as a small business.
Application forms, assistance guidelines, and detailed information is available on the DFA website:
The deadline to apply is February 12, 2022. Applicants must submit their applications to EMBC. EMBC will confirm eligibility and evaluators will contact eligible applicants to discuss the DFA program requirements and schedule an on-site visit.
As the program is Provincial, specific questions about DFA and eligibility requirements should be directed to Emergency Management BC at 1-888-257-4777 or by email at
If you need assistance completing application forms, the City of Fernie's Finance department can help. Email to make arrangements.