Lifeguard/Instructor II (Temporary)
Competition Number: 2022-21
Job Title: Lifeguard/Instructor II (Temporary)
Department: Parks, Facilities and Recreation
Employment Type: Temporary, 22-40 hrs/week
Posted Date: June 13, 2022
Closing Date: June 20, 2022
Last Updated Date: June 20, 2022, 2:01
(Temporary 22-40 hrs. Unbenefited)
Posted June 13, 2022
The City of Fernie invites applications from qualified persons for the position of Lifeguard/Instructor II. This is a temporary, full-time position (22-40 hours/week) which requires weekdays, evenings, and weekend work. Reporting to the Aquatics Supervisor and the Director of Parks, Facilities and Recreation, or their designate, the temporary full-time Lifeguard/Instructor II, promotes education to the public about water safety on or near the water, and ensures proper behaviour standards are maintained by participants and patrons.
This is a temporary position filling the remainder of a maternity leave, that will conclude upon return of the incumbent.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Principal responsibilities include ensuring the safety, protection, and enjoyment of those engaged in activities in or out of the water, assists in the development and delivery of a wide range of aquatic services and programs and performs lifeguarding, instructional, and janitorial tasks related to the operation of the Aquatic Centre. An employee in this position is under the general direction of the Aquatic Supervisor. ILLUSTRATIVE
EXAMPLES OF WORK:
• In consultation with the Aquatic Supervisor, assists in planning, coordinating, and scheduling programs and special events.
• In consultation with the Aquatic Supervisor, assists in scheduling and direction the activities of the aquatic staff.
• Conducts and coordinates in-service training sessions as required.
• Supervises and controls aquatic activity acting as a lifeguard.
• Makes rescues and provides aid to patrons in difficulty, in accordance with established procedures, and completes reports as required.
• Enforces the rules and regulations of the Aquatic Centre and ensures that all safety and behavioral standards are maintained by participants.
• Ensures that safety, hygiene and cleanliness standards and practices are maintained.
• Instructs a variety of swim and water safety lessons and maintains related participant records.
• Responds to customer inquiries and deals with patrons tactfully and courteously.
• Leads activities, special events and games during public swim sessions and theme days.
• Conducts water tests as required and adjusts water chemical levels as directed to ensure a safe and comfortable balance for patrons.
• Prepares and submits records and reports as required.
• Performs janitorial and other duties as assigned.
• Must be at least 17 years of age.
• Current National Lifeguard Services Award.
• Current Red Cross Water Safety Instructor.
• Current Standard First Aid Certification or equivalent.
• Current CPR Level C Certification.
• Current Lifesaving Society Instructor. (preferred)
• Must be a team player who can also work independently with little supervision.
• Must be able to maintain pleasant and effective relations with the public and employees of the City, even in adverse conditions.
• Must have knowledge of the prescribed standards for the Canadian Red Cross Society and the Lifesaving Society, insofar as their programs and services deal with the Aquatic Centre.
• Must have a thorough knowledge of water rescue, first aid and resuscitation methods, must be able to perform the necessary skills as required
We thank all applicants for their interest, however only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Please submit detailed applications containing cover letter, resume, and references by 2:00 P.M., Monday, June 20, 2022.
Applications should be addressed to:
Kathleen Goodman Aquatic Supervisor
250 Pine Ave, PO Box 190, Fernie, BC, V0B 1M0
No additional documents available for this post.