Competition Number: 2022-33
Job Title: GIS Technologist
Department: Asset Management
Employment Type: Full Time- Permanent
Posted Date: November 23, 2022
Closing Date: November 23, 2022
Last Updated Date: November 23, 2022, 2:01
(Full Time, Regular)
Posted November 2, 2022
The City of Fernie is inviting applications for the position of GIS Technologist. This position is posted internally and externally concurrently. The position requires the successful candidate to be a dedicated individual who is organized, analytical, with a strong attention to detail, and experienced in GIS systems.
The City of Fernie has a robust enterprise GIS System that is embedded in many aspects of city operations. Reporting to the Director of Asset Management, the GIS Technologist position is responsible for creating, maintaining, and distributing GIS data and services across the organization to support.
The City is seeking a self-directed and motivated individual who is skilled in performing a wide range of technical work with specific experience in the maintenance and delivery of GIS services within an ESRI environment and related procedures and standards. This role requires a professional approach and exceptional communication skills to respond to customer requests and provide training to end users
*Note this job description is under review through a joint committee between the City and CUPE Local-2093 to reflect the current roles and responsibilities of all positions more accurately at the City.
SCOPE OF RESPONSIBILITIES
Major duties & responsibilities describe the most significant decisions and functions required of the job, not all duties and tasks that may be performed by incumbents are listed:
- Maintain the City’s Geographic Information database by entering and editing graphic and non-graphic data from various sources.
- Maintain and distribute services to support desktop, mobile, and web applications for the organization and related documentation of process and procedures.
- Support interdepartmental projects by preparing detailed specifications for both spatial and non-spatial data and integrate new data into existing City systems to support on-going City business.
- Design, code and test programs and subroutines of varying complexity to access specific data or generate reports from the geographic database and related systems.
- Design tools to efficiently source internal and external data and plans for the integration with existing data sets.
- Provide guidance to users as required; maintains liaison with users to ensure that information entered on databases linked to the geographic system meets prescribed standards; identifies and resolves anomalies in data quality as appropriate.
- Assemble non-graphic data from various departmental files, charts, and similar records.
- Respond to user service requests; make recommendations regarding the development, alteration, or refinement of the geographic system's capabilities to better meet departmental requirements.
- Assemble technical data, analyze, and prepare statistical reporting to support internal and external information reporting requirements.
- Assists with carrying out site survey and field inspections as required, project management, and providing technical advice.
- Assist with preparing, collecting, and maintaining technical data and reports.
- All employees shall work in accordance with the City of Fernie’s Safety Management System.
- Other duties as required.
- Completion of a post-secondary GIS program from a recognized technical institute
- Three years’ experience working with computer assisted mapping techniques, relational database systems, programming methods applicable to the work and of the software programs and hardware components of the geographic information system such as the ESRI ArcGIS suite of desktop, server and cloud-based products, Python scripting and Autodesk products.
- Valid B.C. driver’s license
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Sound knowledge of mapping principles, techniques and materials, simple mathematics, coordinate geometry, drafting, and survey computations.
- Ability to maintain a variety of records, reports and information systems related to the work.
- Ability to design, code and test programs and subroutines on the geographic information system.
- Ability to provide guidance and training to internal GIS users as required.
- Excellent computer skills including in depth knowledge and experience working in an MS Office environment.
- Can demonstrate strong written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills for effectively communicating and working with others.
- Demonstrated ability to tactfully handle confidential enquiries and information. Effective organizational skills.
Competencies for Success
- Previous related experience working in a municipal environment.
- Interest in technology and keeping current with advancing technology
- JOB POSTING
Detailed applications containing resume and cover letter should be received:
For internal applicants, no later than 2:00 PM NOVEMBER 9, 2022
For external applicants, no later than 2:00 PM NOVEMBER 23, 2022
Applications can be addressed to Director Janssen; email@example.com
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those considered for an interview will be contacted.
Lisa Janssen, Director of Asset Management
c/o Human Resources
City of Fernie, 501 – 3rd Ave, PO Box 190
Fernie, BC, V0B 1M0 or
No additional documents available for this post.