Deputy Treasurer (temporary)
Competition Number: 2022-28
Job Title: Deputy Treasurer (temporary)
Employment Type: Full Time, Temporary
Posted Date: September 12, 2022
Closing Date: September 26, 2022
Last Updated Date: September 26, 2022, 2:01
(Temporary, term to fill for leave)
Reports to the Director of Finance
The City of Fernie invites applications from qualified, experienced, persons to provide accounting and financial control work for the Finance Department on a temporary basis, to cover for 12-18 month leave. The City of Fernie is a progressive workplace with diverse and passionate staff. We strive to be a model of public service excellence for all our residents, visitors, and businesses.
The ideal candidate will have a CPA designation and complimentary managerial and/or financial experience, preferably within a Public Administration environment. The Deputy Treasurer will have ethical, professional judgment, and strong critical thinking skills.
Collaboration, teamwork, leadership, and clear communication skills are imperative in this role, as the Deputy Treasurer works with all departments throughout the organization. They will champion productive, respectful, relations as they relate to departmental financial reporting and accuracy in clear and simple terms to colleagues, management, auditors, and the public.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Daily responsibilities include several different tasks such as ad hoc projects; developing new processes or reports; reviewing payroll, A/P, and A/R entries; G/L reconciliations; finance team support and training; departmental budget review and variance analysis; government required reporting; year-end support / main liaison with our auditors; designing and facilitating the financial month-end process; reviewing accounting software processes for accuracy; and supporting the creation of internal policies and bylaws.
- Manages and oversees accounting functions.
- Assists Director of Finance in staffing decisions in the Finance Department.
- Supervises and schedules staff in Finance Department, and within the organization, to support continuity of operations.
Education and Experience
- CPA designation.
- Five years of management experience in finance, with a similar organization or with a major CPA firm
- Working knowledge of financial best-practices and procedures, as well as a thorough understanding of local government legislation.
- Proficient with Vadim accounting software
- Knowledge of payroll requirements
- Ability to process complex information with accuracy and attention to detail.
- Excellent managerial skills and ability to evaluate the work of others.
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Understanding of Public Sector Accounting Board standards
- Job Posting
Interested applicants are requested to submit a resume and cover letter before 2:00PM (MST) September 26, 2022, to:
Bryn Burditt, Director of Finance
cc: Human Resources
PO BOX 190, 501-3rd Avenue
Fernie, BC V0B 1M0
We wish to express our appreciation to all applicants for their interest in applying for this position. This is a temporary position to fill for a leave that may be for 12–18-month term. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
The City of Fernie strives to ensure that its employment practices are free from direct and indirect discrimination and is committed to upholding the human rights of those participating in the hiring process. In pursuit of this commitment, City of Fernie will not condone or tolerate any acts of discrimination or harassment under any of the grounds protected under human rights legislation. This commitment extends to the hiring process and throughout the course of employment.
No additional documents available for this post.