Competition Number: 2022-25
Job Title: Business Analyst
Department: Asset Management
Employment Type: Full Time- Permanent
Posted Date: August 26, 2022
Closing Date: September 16, 2022
Last Updated Date: September 16, 2022, 2:01
Title: Business Analyst (IT)
Reports To: Director of Asset Management
The City of Fernie invites applications from qualified, experienced, persons with a passion for technology, collaboration, and business capability improvement for the full-time, permanent, exempt position of Business Analyst. This exciting new role will lead the development and implementation of digital transformation initiatives across the organization. Reporting to the Director of Asset Management, the Business Analyst will be responsible for:
- Leading the implementation of the city’s current IT Road Map projects together with planning, budgeting, procurement, and implementation support from the City’s Managed IT Services provider.
- Studying and understand business functions across the organization, identifying problems, evaluating options, and recommending and implementing business improvement initiatives. This may include technology solutions, business process improvements, and training initiatives to support the city in achieving its goals in alignment with the organizational objectives.
- Collaborating across the organization to develop reliable and timely business information reports and visualizations to support decision making and communication commitments for a variety of audiences.
The successful candidate will be self-motivated and confident in their interpersonal skills, ability to communicate to a variety of audiences, and have strong collaboration skills. They have an analytic mind, are process driven, with experience in project planning and delivery and are passionate about technology and business improvement with a keen awareness of the complexity of change management initiatives in a public sector environment.
The Business Analyst will work under general supervision, with latitude provided for exercising independent judgment. This position works collaboratively with all City employees, Council, service providers, and stakeholders to ensure the delivery of efficient and quality technological services.
The ideal candidate will have a degree or diploma in Computer Science or Information Systems or a related discipline with a diploma or advanced certificate in Business Analysis with three years’ experience in business analysis, reporting, and IT project delivery, preferably in a local government environment.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Detailed business analysis, outlining problems, opportunities, and solutions for business improvement with a focus on process, decision support, training requirements, and the use of technology solutions to inform the City’s ongoing digital transformation strategy
- Working collaboratively to identify, prioritise and implement technical and functional requirements to improve City operations and decision making
- Project management for implementing the City’s current IT Road Map projects and making recommendations for future priority projects and initiatives
- Responsible for developing, implementing, and maintaining an IT Asset Management Plan
- Lead the management of contracts for the City’s managed information technology service providers
- Work with teams to standardize organizational datasets and integrate data from across systems to develop business intelligence tools and metrics to support decision making and communicating progress on organizational targets and goals such as BI dashboard in available platforms, reports, statistics etc.
- Manage contracts and coordinate with IT / IS vendors and the City’s managed IT service provider to maintain, upgrade, replace, retire, or integrate systems across the organization
- Project planning including scoping, budgeting, and procuring of both professional services, systems, or hardware including writing request for proposals, quotations, or expressions of interest accordance with the City’s purchasing policy
- Responsible for responding to IT and IS emergencies, service outages, and other unforeseen technical issues and working with the City’s managed IT service provider to address issues
- Coordination of onsite technical support visits from the City’s managed IT Service provider
- Implementing standard workflows, processes, decision-making frameworks, policies, and other learning infrastructure to streamline the use of technology across the organization to improve operations and enhance service delivery
- Identifying technology training needs across the organization and coordinating the delivery of technology related training programs with training partners, vendors, or other service providers
- Developing communication and training materials for internal teams to support business improvement initiatives in accordance with City communication guidelines
- Leading the implementation of learning initiatives with teams on smaller scale training needs as part of business improvement initiatives
- Supporting technology needs as related to the hosting of public meetings online, in person, or in hybrid environments across City facilities or other meeting spaces as identified. Occasional after-hours flexible work required
- In alignment with the Asset Management department goals and objectives, this position is accountable for project planning, documentation, resource allocation, change management, risk mitigation, communications, and project implementation
- The Business Analyst exercises a high degree of initiative, judgment, and authority in the research, analysis, and evaluation of city operations
- Collaboration, teamwork, leadership, and clear communication skills are imperative in this role. The Business Analyst will have access to confidential and sensitive information and is required to always maintain strict confidentiality.
- Job Posting
Interested applicants are requested to submit a resume and cover letter before 2:00 PM (MST) September 16, 2022, to:
Lisa Janssen, Director of Asset Management
cc: Human Resources
PO BOX 190, 501-3rd Avenue
Fernie, BC V0B 1M0
We wish to express our appreciation to all applicants for their interest in applying for this position. However, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
No additional documents available for this post.