Fire Ban Rescinded Effective September 14
September 13, 2018
Effective at noon (Pacific time) on Friday, September 14, 2018, campfires will once again be permitted throughout the Southeast Fire Centre's jurisdiction including within the municipal boundary of the City of Fernie, due to decreased wildfire risks in the region.
At the same time, Category 2 open fires will once again be permitted in the Columbia Fire Zone only. Larger Category 3 open fires remain prohibited throughout the Southeast Fire Centre's jurisdiction. A map of the affected areas is available here.
Category 2 open fires, as defined in the Wildfire Regulation:
- stubble or grass burning of any size
- the use of air curtain burners (forced-air burning systems)
- the use of sky lanterns
- the use of fireworks, including firecrackers
- the use of burn barrels or burning cages of any size or description
- the use of binary exploding targets (e.g. for target practice)
The BC Wildfire Service thanks the public for its continued support, vigilance and co-operation during this challenging fire season.