Building Permits & Inspections
The City utilizes a series of regulatory tools to ensure that building and development are carried out in accordance with the BC Building Code, Local Government Act, the Land Title Act, and other provincial or municipal legislation (City of Fernie Building Bylaw).
A Building Permit is required when you:
- construct a new building;
- add to an existing building;
- change the occupancy of an existing building, i.e. from office to retail;
- make interior renovations that may impact the direction of travel to an exit;
- repair a building envelope;
- demolish or move a building;
- enclose your carport or change your garage to living space
- add or relocate plumbing, fire alarm or fire sprinklers;
- pave a parking area where a storm drainage system is required;
- finish existing basement;
- install a swimming pool;
- locate or add to a mobile home
- locate a temporary building; or
- alteration of a building or part of a building reconstruction of a building or part of a building.
NOTE: A detached accessory building less than 10 m2 (107 sq ft) and 4.5 m (14 ft 9 in) in height and built on properties containing a single family dwelling is exempt from requiring a building permit, but must still meet setback requirements specified in the Zoning Bylaw.
Permit Application Forms
- Building Permit Application
- Demolition Permit Application
- Plumbing Permit Application
- Solid Fuel Burning Appliance Permit Application
Inspections are necessary because they assist the homeowner or builder in constructing a building that meets current structural, health, security and fire protection safety standards. City Building Official has a wealth of knowledge on City bylaws and codes related to building and his involvement in a project helps promote conformance to safety and health requirements. Communicating with the Building Official in advance reduces the chances of problems arising during a field inspection.
There are many stages involved in the building inspection process and inspections should be called at every stage. Depending on what you're building, inspections for the following may need to be carried out:
- Forms and excavation inspection
- Drain tile and damp proofing
- Storm, sanitary and water services
- Slab poly inspection
- Bathtubs, showers, traps
- Frame, chimney and duct inspection
- Insulation inspection
- Final building inspections
- Fire sprinklers
For detailed information on the inspection process, please refer to the City of Fernie Building Bylaw.
Arranging an Inspection
Contact the Building Official at (250) 423-2229 to arrange an inspection.Electrical inspections are performed by the BC Safety Authority.